[build2] Feature Request: Bare copy of project without git

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Oct 16 11:38:29 UTC 2019

Markus Pawellek <markuspawellek at gmail.com> writes:

> I was giving a seven-days basic course about modern C++ for students at the
> university where I have introduced the build2 toolchain.

Nice!

> Hence, I would suggest a feature to create a bare copy of a build2 project
> (maybe together with its configurations) on a local machine for
> transmissions not using git.
> Otherwise, is there a better workaround for this problem?

I think the dist meta-operation does pretty much this (except for
copying the configurations, which I don't think is a good idea in
general; but we can explore ways for this to happen, if necessary):

$ cd hello
$ b dist config.dist.root=/tmp/dist

This will create /tmp/dist/hello-X.Y.Z which will contain all the
source files in the hello project.

For details, see:

https://build2.org/build2/doc/build2-build-system-manual.xhtml#intro-operations-dist