[build2] Feature Request: Bare copy of project without git

Markus Pawellek markuspawellek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 20:13:58 UTC 2019

Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> > I was giving a seven-days basic course about modern C++ for students at the
> > university where I have introduced the build2 toolchain.
>
> Nice!

I have as well showed it to some more advanced programmers that are
mainly using CMake as their build system.
They were relieved to see such a simple and efficient solution for
something that until that point had to be done in several complex
lines of code.

> I think the dist meta-operation does pretty much this

Yes, you are right.
I did not think about the dist meta-operation. Thank you.
But there is one problem: What if we, for example, include a
pre-generated version header inside the distribution?
In this case, the dist meta-operation would not give us a bare copy. Am I right?

> (except for
> copying the configurations, which I don't think is a good idea in
> general; but we can explore ways for this to happen, if necessary):

I do not think it is a good idea, either.
But sometimes I feel there should be some standard configurations
so that consumers of a package would not have to configure a
persistent configuration with the typical adjustments manually.