[build2] Using ssh-git

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 13:23:35 UTC 2018

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 at 09:21, Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:
> We use AWS CodeCommit at work, and this really means that we user either
> git+ssh or https with a auth key.
>
> How do I tell build2 to use either of these (https with key is really
> important here), I did'nt seem to be able to make that work ?

What did you try? Both the installer and bpkg should be able to use
these keys if you provide the right option (if my understanding is
correct).

> I have been using CMake a lot, and here I sometime makes a config.h kind
> of file, using the cmake command CONFIGURE_FILE. In build2 this sounds
> like meta-operations, but I really need to understand how I can generate
> this kind of file, and how to make detection code work before generation
> this kind of files.

I think you are looking for the "in" module, providing the "in"
target. Read this, it's at the end of the build system manual:
https://build2.org/build2/doc/build2-build-system-manual.xhtml#module-in

Now that I think about it, the name "in" is probably not the best
idea, as most people will look for other words for this feature.

> The documentation for build2 is REALLY a nice example of god
> documentation, but to me at least, it is also really hard to get started
> by, due to the level of information it contain, I have been looking for
> a more easy "get started" kind of document, but without any luck, are
> there any recommendations here ?

If the Toolchain Introduction is too big/long
(https://build2.org/build2-toolchain/doc/build2-toolchain-intro.xhtml
) then your only hope is to wait for some users to have the will and
time to write an easy tutorial for your specific case.
I would do that if I wasn't super occupied with several projects,
including exploring build2's flexibility.

What's needed is a much of "how to" articles and an easy quick startup
tutorial, but honestly the easy quick startup imply that you already
know the context (is it a new project or not? if not it will not be
trivial).

I started a "quick reference" document some time ago but it's
incomplete and maybe do not match the current build2 version:
https://github.com/Klaim/build2-quickref

I think the best way to learn it at the moment is to read the
toolchain introduction at least, and also to play with projects
generated through "bdep new".
If you want to maximize your flexibility (if you have a complex setup
of projects), then reading atleast the buildsystem manual is
important.

A. Joël Lamotte