[build2] Using ssh-git

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Wed Oct 31 13:17:21 UTC 2018

On 28-10-2018 14:23, Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote:

Sorry, this was only send privately, should have been send here (never
use gmail for mailling lists :-)) too  ...

> What did you try? Both the installer and bpkg should be able to use
> these keys if you provide the right option (if my understanding is
> correct).
I tried to use the ssh access first, as this is more easy for to manage,
when all keys has been setup. It did not recognize the ssh schema, so I
added the '--type git' option, but the result was :

$ bpkg -v rep-info
ssh://git-codecommit.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/v1/repos/phoenix
<http://git-codecommit.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/v1/repos/phoenix>
--type git
git --version
git ls-remote
file:///home/bl/ssh:/git-codecommit.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/v1/repos/phoenix
<http://git-codecommit.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/v1/repos/phoenix>
fatal:
'/home/bl/ssh:/git-codecommit.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/v1/repos/phoenix
<http://git-codecommit.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/v1/repos/phoenix>'
does not appear to be a git repository

I tried the https version instead :

 $ bpkg -v rep-info
https://git-codecommit.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/v1/repos/phoenix

It now ask for username and password, after I also here applied '--type
git'.

This was only to test the access for our existing repositories, am I
doing it in a wrong way ?

> I think you are looking for the "in" module, providing the "in"
> target. Read this, it's at the end of the build system manual:
> https://build2.org/build2/doc/build2-build-system-manual.xhtml#module-in
>
> Now that I think about it, the name "in" is probably not the best
> idea, as most people will look for other words for this feature.
The in module seems like what i was looking for, thanks. I guess that
the combination of in and bash, can be quite powerful.
> If the Toolchain Introduction is too big/long
> (https://build2.org/build2-toolchain/doc/build2-toolchain-intro.xhtml
> ) then your only hope is to wait for some users to have the will and
> time to write an easy tutorial for your specific case.
> I would do that if I wasn't super occupied with several projects,
> including exploring build2's flexibility.
>
> What's needed is a much of "how to" articles and an easy quick startup
> tutorial, but honestly the easy quick startup imply that you already
> know the context (is it a new project or not? if not it will not be
> trivial).
>
> I started a "quick reference" document some time ago but it's
> incomplete and maybe do not match the current build2 version:
> https://github.com/Klaim/build2-quickref

The toolchain intro is really nice work, but if I show this to any one
that just like to get a fast understanding of why and how, it may be a
bit too much. We really should ask Jason Turner to make a go on build2
in his C++ weekly, where he already have tried out 3.

I have been looking at using build2 for some some projects first, but I
have a few bigger ones that I really like to user build2 on, and I
really like to be able to use packages, so my envy on Rust Cargo can go
away :-)
> I think the best way to learn it at the moment is to read the
> toolchain introduction at least, and also to play with projects
> generated through "bdep new".
> If you want to maximize your flexibility (if you have a complex setup
> of projects), then reading atleast the buildsystem manual is
> important.
Thanks for your advise, I will start on small and new projects, and go
from there.But I quess I need to make packages really soon, as we don't
have a lot to choose from right now ?