[build2] Failing to build packages in remote git repositories

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 18:59:49 UTC 2018

On 15 July 2018 at 20:46, Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having great trouble making remote dependencies in git repositories work.
> After a lot of tweaking I tried the simplest test: having a repository
> with a test executable,
> and just trying to build it through bpkg in a freshly setup configuration:

[...]

> Am I missing something?

I tried the same operation with the Hello project as showed in the
intro documentation
and it works as expected.
So I tried to reproduce it with default generated projects by bdep.
Here is how I set it up:

PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim> bdep new
test-build2-package-repo -t empty
created new empty project test-build2-package-repo in
E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo\
PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim> cd .\test-build2-package-repo\
PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo> bdep
new --package kikoo -t exe
created new executable package kikoo in
E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo\kikoo\
PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo> bdep
new --package -t exe lol
created new executable package lol in
E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo\lol\
PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo> git
remote add origin https://github.com/Klaim/test-
build2-package-repo.git

Then I pushed it online and tried:

PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim> cd .\build-test-repo\
PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\build-test-repo> bpkg create cc
config.cxx=cl
created new configuration in
E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\build-test-repo\
PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\build-test-repo> bpkg build
kikoo at https://github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package
-repo.git
added git:github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package-repo
fetching git:github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package-repo
querying https://github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package-repo.git
error: package kikoo is not found in
git:github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package-repo

I think this should have worked the same way as the Hello project.
It looks like something is wrong with the generated projects at the
moment, at least as soon as you try to make packages with them.

(Also note that at least on Windows I often get the following error:
PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\build-test-repo> bpkg build
kikoo at https://github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package
-repo.git
added git:github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package-repo
fetching git:github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package-repo
querying https://github.com/Klaim/test-build2-package-repo.git
error: unable to move directory .\.bpkg\tmp\1e45902c7d3d\ to
.\.bpkg\repos\1e45902c7d3d\: the process cannot access the file
because it is being used by another process

It's not a big problem as redoing the operation (with or without
cleaning) leads back to my initial issue.
However it shows that some operations might be done concurrently in a
context where moving files is
authorized only by one process at a time - aka windows)

I also tried to just build the local clone without success:

PS E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\build-test-repo> bpkg build
kikoo at ../test-build2-package-repo/
fetching git:E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo
querying E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo
error: package kikoo is not found in
git:E:\Tests\build2-experiment\actorsim\test-build2-package-repo

I'm not sure what makes it not follow the packages.manifest file?

For now I'm searching for the differences with the hello project but
I'm a bit stuck.

A. Joël Lamotte