[build2] Where to find config options?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Dec 8 15:42:01 UTC 2017

Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm probably missing something very obvious, but I totally fail to find a
> complete list of possible config options?

No, you are not missing anything, they are not yet documented. Currently,
the best place to look is each modules's init.cxx (e.g., c/, cxx/, bin/,
etc). The non-obvious ones usually have comments (which will eventually
be migrated to the documentation).

But I've noted the idea of querying the list from b at runtime, thanks!

> My understanding is that these these options can be easily extended so
> I suppose that some way to see the currently available list is necessary?

Yes, at least that's the plan. Currently a module can define any config.*
variables it wants but there is no support for doing so from a project.
It is, however, the next big item on our TODO list.

> Meanwhile, side question related to this: I was looking for how to specify
> which version of the cl compilers installed with Visual Studio to use in
> one configuration. If the only way is to use different vsvarsall.bat when
> building it will be problematic when working with different cls.

Yes, currently you have to run b from the corresponding developer command
prompt. It is not ideal but there doesn't seem to be any other "sane" way
to get the "environment" from VC. We could probably save the environment
during configuration so that you only have to use the developer command
prompt for that step. Would that help in your case?

Boris