[build2] Where to find config options?

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 02:33:14 UTC 2017

On 8 December 2017 at 16:42, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>
wrote:

> Klaim - Joėl Lamotte <mjklaim at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Meanwhile, side question related to this: I was looking for how to
> specify
> > which version of the cl compilers installed with Visual Studio to use in
> > one configuration. If the only way is to use different vsvarsall.bat when
> > building it will be problematic when working with different cls.
>
> Yes, currently you have to run b from the corresponding developer command
> prompt. It is not ideal but there doesn't seem to be any other "sane" way
> to get the "environment" from VC. We could probably save the environment
> during configuration so that you only have to use the developer command
> prompt for that step. Would that help in your case?

It could help but would still be problematic when juggling with a lot of
different configs.
But still a progress.

Boris, at my dayjob we currently use qiBuild (which was made by people from
this company who left a few years ago, we are looking at alternatives too
these days).
It manage to do find the right VS but I think it relies on CMake behind.
CMake asks for both generator and version of the toolset separately, so
it could be looking at the default install paths or some of the environment
variables.
So maybe there is some heuristics you could extract from one of these
projects assuming there is a config info of specific toolset?

I wanted to try to find how they do it in CMake's code this weekend but I'm
occupied with something else and can't until next week,
so I'll investigate if you don't have time.

Note: if it works with standalone toolsets that vs team is currently
providing, it would help a lot too.