[build2] How to update a package on cppget ?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Sep 18 12:42:04 UTC 2023

Michael Martin Moro via users <users at build2.org> writes:

> I'd like to do the deed myself, if possible. I've successfully updated the
> package from version 3.3 to 3.10.

Yes, that would be welcome.

> Similarly if I try to use `bdep publish`, I end up with the following
> message:
>
> error: project owner authentication failed
>  info: reference: b5ca39cbe4db

We use the git repository from which the package was initially published
as a proxy for ownership.

This particular repository (and most other third-party projects ported
to build2) live in the github.com/build2-packaging/ organization:

https://github.com/build2-packaging/redis-plus-plus

> I was wondering: considering that I'm not the person who originally created
> the package, am I still allowed to update it ? And if not, how would I find
> out the identity of the person who did create the package, so that he may
> know that the package needs to be updated ? I'd gladly take over the
> maintenance for that package if needed, I just don't know how.

Normally, if the original maintainer is around, you would cooperate with
them (e.g., by submitting a PR, etc). But in this case I know for certain
that the original maintainer is no longer involved so you are welcome
to take over maintaining this package. I've sent you an invite to the
build2-packaging organization and gave you write access to this
repository.

> I've uploaded the updated package to a git repository in the meantime:
>
> https://github.com/crails-framework/redis-plus-plus

One thing to note is that the original repository uses the git submodule
plus symlinks to pull upstream code, which is the recommended/standard
approach for packaging third-party projects. It would be helpful if you
continued with this approach instead of importing copies of the upstream
code, as you did in your repository.