[build2] Packaging an External Library without any Versioning Scheme

markus.pawellek at mailbox.org markus.pawellek at mailbox.org
Thu Jul 6 12:50:31 UTC 2023

Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> I remember answering a similar question somewhere in the past and
> there
> will probably be more questions like this in the future. So I wrote a
> HOWTO article:
>
> https://github.com/build2/HOWTO/blob/master/entries/handle-projects-which-dont-use-version.md
>
> Let me know if anything is unclear or doesn't make sense.

Thank you so much. Indeed, that is very helpful.
Only to make sure that I do not get it the wrong way:
When you say '0.0.Z' then with 'Z' you mean a natural number
that I will manually provide as package version myself, don't you?
It is not like '0.1.0-a.z' where 'z' will automatically be deduced
by the version module of the build system but this time only as date
component?

>> Snapshots are quite unwieldy so I don't think it's a good long-term
> solution. And I think using 0.0.Z version as suggested in the HOWTO
> is a sensible alternative. Do you see any issues with it in your
> context?

If I do understand this versioning scheme correctly then, no, there
should be no issues!
I totally agree with you that snapshots are not a good long-term
solution
and with this kind of versioning it would be much simpler for me.