[build2] Packaging an External Library without any Versioning Scheme

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Jul 6 08:13:16 UTC 2023

Markus Pawellek via users <users at build2.org> writes:

> Unfortunately, hapPLY does not provide any versioning scheme but might so in
> the future.

I remember answering a similar question somewhere in the past and there
will probably be more questions like this in the future. So I wrote a
HOWTO article:

https://github.com/build2/HOWTO/blob/master/entries/handle-projects-which-dont-use-version.md

Let me know if anything is unclear or doesn't make sense.

> Instead, would it be ok to use snapshot versions for this case?
> The current tagged version of the build2 package is given by
>
> v0.1.0-a.0.20230702193747.932bd3bb80b1
>
> In that case, `manifest` could use a dependency declaration
> with a pre-release version constraint or without any version constraint.
>
> depends: happly
> depends: happly ^ 0.1.0-

Snapshots are quite unwieldy so I don't think it's a good long-term
solution. And I think using 0.0.Z version as suggested in the HOWTO
is a sensible alternative. Do you see any issues with it in your
context?