[build2] Python Wrapper with Pybind11, Calling Python, and Renaming Libraries

Markus Pawellek markus.pawellek at mailbox.org
Mon Apr 12 17:54:02 UTC 2021

Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> While I am a bit fuzzy on what exactly you are trying
> to achieve here, perhaps ad hoc recipes can help:
>
> https://build2.org/release/0.13.0.xhtml#adhoc-recipe
>
> In particular, you could add recipes for the project's
> root directory target to implement some sort of project
> post-install/uninstall hooks:
>
> ./: {*/ -build/} doc{README.md} manifest
> % install
> {{
>   diag post-install
>   echo "installing into $install.root"
> }}
> % uninstall
> {{
>   diag post-uninstall
>   echo "uninstalling from $install.root"
> }}

Thank you.
That was exactly what I meant.
I was not aware of the fact that ad hoc recipes are able
to customize other operations apart from 'update'.
Next time I will read more carefully in the documentation.

I was now able to completely remove the Makefile dependency.
If you or someone else might be interested in an example
which explains how to create a Python wrapper library/module/package
for some C++ library by using build2 and Pybind11
then you may have a look at [1].
I have updated the code and added some comments to explain everything.

[1] https://github.com/lyrahgames/build2-pybind11-pip-test

Greetings
Markus