[build2] Official build2 Fedora packages

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Jun 14 13:24:49 UTC 2019

Matthew Krupcale <mkrupcale at matthewkrupcale.com> writes:

> 1. Have you given any additional thought about using LaTeX CLI
> generation to produce PS/PDF documentation output as opposed to the
> current html2ps method?

Yes, I've been thinking about it on and off, sorry for taking so
long. I will reply to that thread in the next couple of days.

> I see that there were some commits[3] which convert some of the
> problematic characters to ASCII, but unfortunately this does not
> make the documents fully ASCII/UTF-8 still. There are a few NO-BREAK
> SPACE (U+00A0) and COPYRIGHT SIGN (U+00A9) characters at the beginning
> of the PS document, so they're still iso-8859-1 encoded.

Yes, as a stop-gap solution we've converted the tree output to only
use ASCII. Will try to fix these additional ones, thanks for the
report.

> What I'm currently doing to fix this on the packaging side is just
> using iconv(1) to convert them from iso-8859-1 to utf-8.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't think we can convert PS/PDF files
with iconv.

> 2. I noticed that libbutl in a few places[4,5] will invoke exit(3)
> directly. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but usually a library
> should allow the user executable to decide what to do in the case of
> an error, so perhaps in this case it makes sense to just re-throw the
> exception and let the executable catch it (or not).

In the two cases you refer, exit() is called inside the child process
that failed to exec(). Since the program may be multi-threaded, this
is probably the safest thing to do.

> This seems to be what is done in e.g. b_info[6] for a similar use-case.

Actually, I think that's a bug. We will look into it.

> 3. Now that I've finished getting build2 into the official Fedora
> repos, and with the work Alex has done on Debian/Ubuntu and
> RHEL/CentOS side, do you think it makes sense to do an official
> release of ODB at this point? Unless I'm mistaken, this
> chicken-and-egg problem was the main reason for delaying the release
> of ODB 2.5.0, so with build2 bootstrapped, we should now be able to
> build ODB 2.5.0 from the repos.

This was one of the reasons (plus build2 is not in the official Debian
repositories yet).

Probably more importantly we haven't yet converted ODB tests to build2.
Doing that will require ODB compilation support in build2 (similar to
CLI) and we want to do this as an external build system module (unlike
CLI), which are not yet supported. It is, however, #1 item on my TODO
list and I plan to make some progress on it for the next release. So,
hopefully soon but unfortunately not yet.