[build2] Using ssh-git

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Oct 29 12:49:01 UTC 2018

Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> writes:

> First, thanks for a really nice package and build tool ! [...]

Thanks for kind words!

> We use AWS CodeCommit at work, and this really means that we user either
> git+ssh or https with a auth key.
>
> How do I tell build2 to use either of these (https with key is really
> important here), I did'nt seem to be able to make that work?

What exactly did you try and what didn't work?

In build2 git is used in two main areas: for development (with bdep) and
for version control based repositories (with bpkg). With the former you
clone (or setup the remote for) the repository yourself so there shouldn't
be any issue using SSH or HTTPS with authentication (we use SSH ourselves).
The latter is normally accessed via read-only unauthenticated HTTPS.

> I have been using CMake a lot, and here I sometime makes a config.h kind
> of file, using the cmake command CONFIGURE_FILE. In build2 this sounds
> like meta-operations, but I really need to understand how I can generate
> this kind of file, and how to make detection code work before generation
> this kind of files.

Yes, as Joel mentioned, this functionality is provided by the 'in' build
system module.

> The documentation for build2 is REALLY a nice example of god
> documentation, but to me at least, it is also really hard to get started
> by, due to the level of information it contain, I have been looking for
> a more easy "get started" kind of document, but without any luck, are
> there any recommendations here ?

The toolchain introduction is the best high-level overview:

  https://build2.org/build2-toolchain/doc/build2-toolchain-intro.xhtml

For the build system there is a separate introduction in its manual:

  https://build2.org/build2/doc/build2-build-system-manual.xhtml