[build2] Potential improvement: "bdep new ... --package" should automatically configure?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Jun 6 12:08:45 UTC 2018

Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm experimenting with the case where:
>  - the developer want to have one repository with multiple projects, aka
>    packages in build2;
>  - the developer discover the projects they need while developing, add them
>    progressively;
>
> Scenario:
>  1. I create an empty repository, ready to work with build2 ('bdep new -t empty');
>  2. I add package with a library (the initial project) ('bdep new ... --package');
>  3. I initialize a configuration (the library is added automatically);
>  4. I build (or not), basically I work with the library;
>  5. then I realize I need to add another project;
>  6. I add another package but this time with an executable (but I think
>     it's not important);
>  7. Assuming the new package is automatically added to the configurations
>     currently managed for the whole repository, I start working (for example,
>     build/update);
>
> What I observe does not match step 7.
> Instead, no bdep operation will take the new executable created in step 6
> except if I do the following:
>
>     bdep deinit
>     bdep init

Yes, currently bdep-new --package does not initialize the package though
it probably should. Added to the TODO list.

BTW, currently, instead of deinit & init, you should be able to init just
that package, for example:

bdep init -d new-package

Or just run bdep init: it will skip the already-initialized ones.