[build2] Failing to build packages in remote git repositories

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jul 17 13:06:27 UTC 2018

Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim at gmail.com> writes:

> Another possible suggestion: if no tags are found, use "master" branch by
> default and report a warning about this to the user. That way might simplify
> simple attempts at trying build2 while still make sense. Maybe a flag option
> to allow or not this behaviour would be necessary but if available, it looks
> like it could be a good default.

A default that behaves differently depending on the contents of the
remote repository could be quite surprising. Imagine before you used
the v1.0.0 tag but I've since removed it and now you default to HEAD.

But I think issuing a note about absence of any available versions is
a good idea. Will look into adding it.

Thanks,
Boris