[build2] Boost package

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Dec 3 13:02:12 UTC 2018

Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim at gmail.com> writes:

> What is not clear to me is if in your plans, is it a problem? It kind
> of imply having CMake around, which as we discussed previously could
> be an acceptable requirement for users wanting to use vcpkg as a
> source.

No, I don't think this is a problem. What vcpkg essentially has done
is express building of all its packages via a (presumably) uniform
CMake-based interface. The idea is to reuse this work.

Vcpkg automatically downloads a binary of the required CMake version
(and I think also Ninja). In our case we could probably package
CMake/Ninja as build2 packages so that we can build them automatically
as required instead of expecting the user to have them around.

> Otherwise, I'm trying to:
>  - establish a mapping of vcpkg CMake functions to build2's

No, this is a dead end, don't go there.

> Would that still be helpful or did you already progress enough to get
> an idea of the feasibility?

No, we haven't done any further work on this.

I think the next step is to get a clear understanding (perhaps by
studying the vcpkg source code) of how its packages are built with
CMake. I believe one of the inputs is the toolchain file. Is there
anything else? In other words, given the vcpkg source directory, we
need to come up with a CMake command line (or lines) that can be
used to build any vcpkg package.