[build2] Boost package

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 12:35:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 13:38, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> The big unknown in this plan that needs further research is how uniform
> the vcpkg's CMake interface and whether it will allow us to build things
> that we need (like shared libraries on non-Windows platforms, etc).

I am resuming my efforts related to this subject.

If I understand correctly, the vcpkg greatly relies on this macro:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg/blob/master/docs/maintainers/vcpkg_configure_cmake.md
Which you can find in the template for portfile.cmake:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg/blob/master/scripts/templates/portfile.in.cmake
What is not clear to me is if in your plans, is it a problem? It kind
of imply having CMake around, which as we discussed previously could
be an acceptable requirement for users wanting to use vcpkg as a
source.

Otherwise, I'm trying to:
 - establish a mapping of vcpkg CMake functions to build2's
syntax/functions/commands (this is not trivial because of CMake's
syntax, so I'm not sure yet if there is a blocking issue);
 - check some packages see if there are unusual patterns or custom
CMake functions/macros that would become problematic, when used in
combination with vcpkg's normalized cmake functions.

Would that still be helpful or did you already progress enough to get
an idea of the feasibility?

Joël