[build2] possible to do something similar to DESTDIR= make install?

Norbert Lange nolange79 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 21:06:20 UTC 2017

>> I will have to build "in-tree", and take some care to be able to clean
>> up everything.
>
> I've fixed the version cleanup and restaged the new version (available
> from the same place) so the in-tree build should now be compatible with
> the "Debian way" without any extra effort.

Ok great, now I just need to find some spare time...

>> BTW, you will often have "meta" folders and files, think about the
>> .git subdirectory or project files for editiors/ideas.
>
> I am not sure I follow how this is related?

You were talking about the src and out dir "having parallel structure",
but usually you have additional stuff in the src dir, like the examples above,
if the user/IDE is particularly nasty you will find some recursive
symlinks there.

>> I find code "being pretty hairy" is a good reason for second guesses =)
>
> Paraphrasing a famous comment from Solaris, let's see you do better. ;-)

There aint a perfect buildsystem until you do it yourself, right? =)

Just to be sure, I wasn`t talking about the code quality, but it
sounds like you
attempt to solve a quite hairy problem, which I assume is some
auto-magical detection of sub-projects and source-file globbing?
The second guessing was about measuring up the pain that causes vs.
the gain it brings.

Kind Regards,
Norbert