[build2] possible to do something similar to DESTDIR= make install?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Aug 14 18:46:01 UTC 2017

Norbert Lange <nolange79 at gmail.com> writes:

> debian-esque clean:
> You got 2 archives:
> build2-toolchain_0.7.0.orig.tar.xz (which is the archive from your homepage)
> build2-toolchain_0.7.0-2.debian.tar.xz

As I mentioned in one or my previous emails, using the build2-toolchain
archive (which includes, bpkg, other libraries, etc.) is probably the
wrong approach when packaging for a distribution. Instead, I would
suggest that you get build2 and libbutl as individual archives and
then follow instructions in build2/INSTALL:

https://cppget.org/build2
https://cppget.org/libbutl

Also, it is not clear to me why you need to clean things. Maybe if you
can explain the motivation I can suggest a solution (like building
things out-of-tree).

> > Those are actually generated[1] (and we distribute pre-generated copies
> > for convenience). So this should be harmless.
>
> In the context of above, its not. those files are necessary for the
> bootstrap I think.

Yes, good point.

> Ideally I would be able to build the bootstrap-phases in a separate
> directory, that`s easy enough to clean up.

Ok, let me see what I can come up with. Will need to brush up on my
make-fu ;-).

Boris