[build2] possible to do something similar to DESTDIR= make install?

Norbert Lange nolange79 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:52:26 UTC 2017

>> 1) there is no easy way to clean the in-place build. Its needed one
>>    way or the other.
>>    Probably easiest if I just copy everything for now
>
> I am not sure what you mean here. On step 2, after building a statically-
> linked binary and renaming it to b-boot you should be able to clean things
> without any problems.

debian-esque clean:
You got 2 archives:
build2-toolchain_0.7.0.orig.tar.xz (which is the archive from your homepage)
build2-toolchain_0.7.0-2.debian.tar.xz

when starting a build, the scripts will check is the filesystem is identical to
the contents of the .orig archive, and otherwise will fail to proceed
(without overrides).
a clean target should take care of restoring this state.

So far I don`t have any measure of doing so.
(This is primary a nuisance when writing and re-running the packages)

>> 2) running a b-boot clean after boostrap phase 2 will delete a few
>>    version.hxx and version files (source files!).
>>    Might check if thats a nasty bug?
>
> Those are actually generated[1] (and we distribute pre-generated copies
> for convenience). So this should be harmless.

In the context of above, its not. those files are necessary for the
bootstrap I think.
But that would be a special-case and not a bug.

>> 3) first phase doesnt use threads, and is therefore rather slow.
>>    Would be possibly to check if the competition is available, and
>>    create a rather simple makefile.
>
> We want to keep the bootstrap step as simple, portable, and reliable
> as possible. And if it were easy to write a portable makefile, there
> would be no need for build2. But maybe we should still do it, if only
> for GNU make/Linux. Let me see what I can do.

Understood, but you are currently requiring (for linux) a unix-shell and g++
(and its option-syntax), that usually means make is available too.

Ideally I would be able to build the bootstrap-phases in a separate directory,
that`s easy enough to clean up.

Norbert