[packaging] SFML build2 packages

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu May 5 12:14:11 UTC 2022

Boris Kolpackov via packaging <packaging at build2.org> writes:

> Fabian Meyer <fabian.meyer at posteo.de> writes:
>
> > Concerning "detecting" system dependencies like OpenGL: You are right
> > "detect" is the wrong term here. I meant more something like a meta package
> > which would figure out the linker flags depending on my platform and
> > compiler configuration. I already had a look at the glfw package for this.
> > The thing is, it specifies pretty much the same flags for Linux / Windows /
> > Mac that SFML does and probably SDL will do the same. Seems like a lot of
> > redundancy to me.
>
> True, though this "redundancy" can quickly become "flexibility" if one
> of these libraries wants to do things slightly differently. But I still
> think it may be worth having some mechanism here.
>

> > Similar thing would be with e.g. OpenMP, which needs specific compiler and
> > linker flags depending on platform and compiler.
>
> Hm, we could create a binless library (i.e., like a header-only library
> but actually without any headers) whose only purpose is to export
> dependencies on other libraries, potentially in a platform-specific
> manner.
>
> Interesting idea, we can give it a try (and maybe write a HOWTO) if you
> are willing to help flesh the approach out (I am completely ignorant of
> all things OpenGL).

Ok, I took a look at this in the context of the "pthread mess" and
while in the end a metadata library for pthread is probably an
overkill, I made one up as an example of the overall approach:

https://github.com/build2-packaging/libpthread-meta

So feel free to try to do something analogous for OpenGL and/or
OpenMP and let me know how it goes. Just note that this requires
the latest (as in, today's) staged toolchain.