[packaging] SFML build2 packages

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon May 2 13:35:25 UTC 2022

Fabian Meyer <fabian.meyer at posteo.de> writes:

> Concerning "detecting" system dependencies like OpenGL: You are right
> "detect" is the wrong term here. I meant more something like a meta package
> which would figure out the linker flags depending on my platform and
> compiler configuration. I already had a look at the glfw package for this.
> The thing is, it specifies pretty much the same flags for Linux / Windows /
> Mac that SFML does and probably SDL will do the same. Seems like a lot of
> redundancy to me.

True, though this "redundancy" can quickly become "flexibility" if one
of these libraries wants to do things slightly differently. But I still
think it may be worth having some mechanism here.

> Similar thing would be with e.g. OpenMP, which needs specific compiler and
> linker flags depending on platform and compiler.

Hm, we could create a binless library (i.e., like a header-only library
but actually without any headers) whose only purpose is to export
dependencies on other libraries, potentially in a platform-specific
manner.

Interesting idea, we can give it a try (and maybe write a HOWTO) if you
are willing to help flesh the approach out (I am completely ignorant of
all things OpenGL).