[build2] question regarding build configurations

Michael Reiland dev at michaelreiland.net
Tue Mar 12 06:18:23 UTC 2024

Hello all,

I'm reading through the documentation and I have 2 questions that don't seem obvious to me.

question 1:

In the build2 toolchain introduction here: https://build2.org/build2-toolchain/doc/build2-toolchain-intro.xhtml

hello-gcc and hello-clang are siblings of the hello directory.  The hello directory is a git repository so it's meant to be checked into version control.

What is the expectation for hello-gcc and hello-clang in terms of version control and sharing amongst multiple developers on a team?

question 2:

in the man pages for bdep-config it refers to a "build configuration set", with the ability to add and remove configurations from it.  This seems like a project specific  data but I couldn't find where this information is stored.  In addition, bdep config list describes a path output for the configuration, which implies the configuration set knows the filesystem path.

if I clone a fresh copy of a build2 project, how do I recreate the build configurations if they're not checked into source control?  I tried deleting the build configuration directory to see if I could get the directories to be recreated from the project itself but was unable to do so.