[build2] Using build2 with avr-g++

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu May 4 14:01:09 UTC 2023

Wilhelm Meier via users <users at build2.org> writes:

> I just tried the first example and change the compiler:
>
> $ b -sv config.cxx="/usr/local/bin/avr-g++"
>
> But this does not succeed.

It would be helpful to know what exactly happened, including any
diagnostics issued.

My guess would be build2 could not extract compiler information (id,
version, target, etc). It's not uncommon for embedded toolchains to
"customize" things beyond recognition. There is a bunch of configuration
variables that allow you to override auto-detected values, from the
NEWS file:

* New config.{c,cxx}.{id,version,target} configuration variables.

  These variables allow overriding guessed compiler id/version/target, for
  example, in case of mis-guesses or when working with compilers that don't
  report their base (e.g., GCC, Clang) with -v/--version (common in the
  embedded space).