[build2] build2 0.14.0 released

Matthew Krupcale mkrupcale at matthewkrupcale.com
Mon Nov 15 01:36:07 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 11:03 AM Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

Sorry for the delayed response, I just got back to looking at this today.

> Boris Kolpackov via users <users at build2.org> writes:
>
> > So it feels like we should still build it "as if for install" but
> > actually not install it. We could do this by introducing something
> > like config.install=false but perhaps a more elegant solution is to
> > only apply config.install.scope for the install operation itself and
> > not for the update-for-install pre-operation.
> >
> > I've tried this change it works for the above test case. Do you see
> > any issues with going this route?

That seems to make sense to me, although I can't claim to know there
won't be any issues with this approach.

> Ok, I've tested it some more and committed to master, here is the
> patch:
>
> https://git.build2.org/cgit/build2/commit/?id=65f77bb9a955
>
> It would be great if you could try it in your RPM builds.

Thanks, I've applied the patch and done some preliminary COPR builds
[1]. The patch does seem to make things work now with
'!config.install.scope=project' during install. Now I'm running into
some issues during testing:

1. OpenSSL 3.0 (Fedora 36) appears to have deprecated rsautl and
instead suggests to use pkeyutl, so it looks like bpkg might need to
be updated for this
2. Some of the C++ modules tests
(tests/cc/modules/modules.testscript:{198,296,388}) fail on  PPC64LE
(Fedora 34-36) with errors like

driver.o: in function `_GLOBAL__sub_I_main':
driver.cxx:(.text+0x88): call to `_ZGIW3foo4coreEv' lacks nop, can't
restore toc; (plt call stub)
driver.cxx:(.text+0x88): unresolvable R_PPC64_REL24 against `_ZGIW3foo4coreEv'
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: bad value

I probably need to do some more digging to understand this latter
error, but perhaps you have a better idea of what's going on here.

Best,
Matthew

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mkrupcale/build2/build/2958004/