[build2] publishing packages with external tests

Markus Pawellek markuspawellek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 01:48:51 UTC 2020

Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> Generally, it is a good idea to publish at least the tests package so
> that those who want to verify the functionality of the package can get
> the extra dependencies and run the tests.
>
> Is there a reason why you would not want to publish them?

For now, it would be possible to publish the tests package.
But at some time in the future, it may be possible that the build2 CI
environment on cppget.org will not be able to completely build or
execute the tests package
due to new dependencies and requirements, like Boost or TestU01, which
are currently not reachable by the build2 dependency toolchain.
This is already true for the other packages in the same repository.
In this case, I would remove the linking of the tests package from the
library manifest file to keep on providing a package on cppget.org.
Hence, the old tests package would not be usable any longer.