[build2] Installation of legal documentation (LICENSE, etc)

Matthew Krupcale mkrupcale at matthewkrupcale.com
Wed Jul 15 21:04:23 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM Boris Kolpackov
<boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this

No worries, I just wasn't sure if you saw that question in the midst
of the larger email.

> (and I am still going to comment on that re-link issue you've submitted, probably
> after the release though).

Yeah, that can certainly wait for a later release.

> The fact that it would be consistent with the buildfile syntax is
> actually a problem since these values are persisted in config.build.
> If we were to use `$` then those values would have to be quoted which
> makes the whole thing quite hairy (and also confusing since it now
> looks like those are expanded during config.build loading, which is
> not the case). In fact, initially it was @project@ but that also
> would have required quoting.

Doesn't the <project> get substituted in config.install.* at
libbuild2/install/init.cxx:proc_var during the install module init? So
would the config.build actually persist the un-expanded variable or
the expanded variable?

> If you want to specify a config.install.* path that contains `<`, it will have to be escaped:
>
> b config.install.root='/tmp/<<strange-choice>/'

I see. This also looks a bit weird since you don't have to escape the
'>' here, so it's asymmetric. I suppose you'd have to do an analogous
escape if '$' were used for the variable, but no need for the trailing
bracket.