[build2] B2/cppget.org web frontend availability

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:37:29 UTC 2020

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 13:20, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>
wrote:

> Aleksander Stankiewicz <stankiewiczal at gmail.com> writes:
> > The other thing that very slows adoption of it is missing integration
> with
> > (at least) VSCode.
>
> There is currently no integration but there is talk of writing a VSCode
> plugin. I will ping the person interested (Joel).

Indeed, I have some plans to make a VSCode extension and maybe a Visual
Studio (not Code) extension too (for the more advanced debugging tools).
Unfortunately I cannot say when I'll be able to begin work on this. So far
I did some research to prepare that project, but I also need to finish
another project first.

Meanwhile, VSCode is still a good tool to use with build2 projects, that's
what I use almost every day working with build2. The main things to know:
 - You can create "debug launch" json files that will help you debug
executables built with build2 (or anything else) - to do that, go in the
debug pannel and create a new launch action, then fill the fields. The only
issue is that I didn't find yet a way to build before launching the program
to test and I don't see a way to attach a debugger to tests when `b test`
is used;
 - As long as you have all the code (including configurations) of your
project in the directory (or directories) open in an instance of VSCode, it
will find the related source code (maybe not the include paths when you
write `#include <...>` however.).
 - Setting VScode to use the "make" syntax highlighting for `buildfile`,
`build2file` `*.build` will help with editing these files (I decided to not
go with a syntax highlighting for manifest files because they don't have an
extension, so it might be more ambiguous);
 - Using the console inside VSCode helps having the same experience
whatever the OS (I use git-bash on windows and VSCode can be set to use it,
it's similar to your usual bash on linux).

The goal of the extension would then be to automate setting up all that and
generate action commands for VSCode. (and similarly for VS, but it's a bit
different).
Also I hope to better inform the intellisense in VSCode which currently is
poor and mostly tries to understand the code around, but fails at basic
stuffs. The one in VS-not-code works better, even in directory-project mode
(if you want to use VS with build2, I recommend doing that, also the
debugger tools are far better).

A. Joël Lamotte