[build2] build2 0.12.0 released

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Nov 22 06:48:41 UTC 2019

Matthew Krupcale <mkrupcale at matthewkrupcale.com> writes:

> First off, congratulations on this major release.

Thank you!

> I think the new dynamic build system modules system makes build2 quite
> unique, extensible, and powerful. I know Bazel has the Skylark/Starlark
> Python-like language, and CMake and Meson have modules, but as far as
> I can tell, none of these can be as powerful as a C++ build system
> module for build2. In the case of Bazel, I believe this is partially
> by design in order to have tighter restrictions on the build, but
> nonetheless, I think build2 has a lot of potential to do much more
> than Bazel, CMake, or Meson ever can. In the case of the latter two,
> this is especially true since they will always be limited by their
> target build system(s).

Well said. We should have you writing the release notes ;-)

> Secondly, I'm almost done getting the Fedora update ready and have
> done some test builds[1].

Great, and, again, thanks for doing this, much appreciated.

> One thing I found, though, is that RPM does not want any artifacts to
> reference the $RPM_BUILD_ROOT which is used as the config.install.chroot
> inside the mock build chroot, and with the addition of
> libbuild2/config/host-config.cxx.in in this release, $RPM_BUILD_ROOT is
> added to the libbuild2 library.

Yes, we definitely don't want config.install.chroot carried through to
the default host configuration. Nice catch. I've committed a fix similar
to yours:

https://git.build2.org/cgit/build2/commit/?id=0e9bf64dadc029bdf3e97ffb982d297eee0499e4