[build2] Official build2 Fedora packages

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Jun 24 13:04:33 UTC 2019

Matthew Krupcale <mkrupcale at matthewkrupcale.com> writes:

> Sure. This is only applied on the PS files, which are a page
> description language, analogous to a markup language. I presume the
> ps2pdf software is able to read whatever PS input encoding and produce
> the output correctly, so no need to convert the PDF. You can see their
> MIME types and character encodings using file(1):
>
> $ file -bi *.{ps,pdf}
> application/postscript; charset=iso-8859-1
> application/pdf; charset=binary
>
> You can see how I do it in my spec file[1].

I dug a bit deeper into this and I don't believe converting PS to UTF-8
with iconv(1) is the correct thing to do: PostScript has a set of
encodings and its ISO-8859-1 equivalent is called "Latin 1"[1]. If you
grep the .ps file you will see a few references to Latin1. Also, after
doing the conversion the result certainly look off for me when viewed
with gv(1).

I also don't see why we need to change the encoding of the .ps files
since (after fixing up the tree output) they only use character from
ISO-8859-1. Is Fedora requiring all the documentation to be in UTF-8?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Latin_1_Encoding