[build2] Issues when explicitely setting headers to install or not install

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 20:50:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 13:05, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> This line should be:
>
> hxx{private}@./: install = false
>
> See Section 1.3, "Output Directories and Scopes" for the explanation.
>
> I believe the rest of your cases should all work once adjusted
> accordingly.

Thanks, that fixes most cases except case 6 which isn't valid anyway.

Note that it doesn't explain why the install was successful in case 2.
(did it bypass update? Doc says "Similar to the test operation,
install performs update as a pre-operation for targets that it
installs.")

By the way, I actually read that specific chapter* (and some others)
just before sending my initial email because I was assuming, from the
error, that I was misunderstanding something about the target naming
again.
I think I'm confused by some paragraphs there, I can't say if it's my
English failing me, though it is probable. Even re-reading it today I
concluded again that the syntax I used should work. Then I re-read-it
several times, assuming I was probably wrong. :-)
Anyway, now I think I better understand the differences between
targets and prerequisite (names). I guess we'll see with time and
users feedback if it's only confusing for me (it could be just me!)
although I do think now that it does make sense, so I don't have a
suggestion for improvement.

A. Joël Lamotte

*: I have no problem with the scoping part of the chapter.