[build2] Bootstrap build failing bpkg and bdep tests

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Sun Sep 16 14:42:48 UTC 2018

Matthew Krupcale <mkrupcale at matthewkrupcale.com> writes:

> In particular, I don't know if it is intended for anyone else to consume
> libbutl or libbpkg and whether or not they will have any sort of ABI
> stability (right now it appears they are versioned same as release
> major.minor). In other words, they might just be considered "private"
> libraries for build2 and could be installed somewhere outside of the
> usual /usr/lib(64) [2,3].

I think there is a possibility going forward that other tools may
want to use these libraries, for example, to parse package/repository
manifests, etc. At least that's the reason we have them in the first
place.

> As for bundling libodb, Fedora recommends un-bundling things[4], but
> I don't think there is much other choice right now since the latest
> release of libodb (which is packaged in Fedora) will not work with
> build2.

Right. The good news is this should all be sorted out once we release
the next version of ODB and a stable version of build2. So if we can
limp along like this for a while long, that would probably be the
easiest.

> Per your suggestion that I should use the step 3 build2 for tests, I
> set LD_LIBRARY_PATH during the tests, similar to how I'm setting PATH
> anyways, and step 3 build2 can run after installation.

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable approach to me.

> To be clear, though, openssl is a runtime requirement for bpkg? And I
> suppose the same would be true for curl and git, yes?

Yes, those are runtime requirements. Strictly speaking, git is only
necessary if one wants to work with git-based repositories.

> Am I missing anything else (these sorts of external process requirements
> won't be detected automatically by RPM)?

To be complete, these are the tools that might be invoken by the toolchain
in certain situations:

gz
tar
git