[build2] Boost package

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Nov 1 11:22:41 UTC 2018

Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> writes:

> I am sure I am not the first to ask, but have anyone tried to make a boost
> package (set) ?

We looked into it briefly. The problem with Boost is that it will be very
hard to convert to build2 gradually since pretty much every library has
a large number of other Boost libraries it depends on.

> I can see that some of the conan people have tried to modulize boost for
> conan, and maybe build2 could benefit from some of that work ?

Yes, there are some thoughts/ideas like that, except we were looking into
vcpkg (which has managed to split Boost into individual libraries and
document their dependencies -- not sure if Conan folks did the same of
if it's one gian library).

> Is this a problem related to the header (and c++-20 module) only package
> handling, that is yet not quite possible (except for a dummy stub)?

I am not sure what you refer to here. I don't think Boost has any
support for consuming it as C++ modules rather than headers.