[build2] [bug] Compilation error not visible in the reported file (wrong file reported?)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Mar 15 14:29:14 UTC 2018

Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim at gmail.com> writes:

> fatal error C1021: invalid preprocessor command 'to_string'

This appears to be a bug in VC's preprocessor's handling of raw string
literals. I've managed to reproduce the problem with this test case
(which I've reported to the VC folks):

cat <<EOF >test.cpp
const char* s = R"chaiscript(

# to_string for Pair()

def to_string(x) : call_exists(first, x) && call_exists(second, x) {
  "<" + x.first.to_string() + ", " + x.second.to_string() + ">";
}

# to_string for containers

)chaiscript";
EOF

cl.exe /nologo /EHsc /MD /P /WX /Fi: test.ii /TP test.cpp

I can't think of a way to work around this without modifying the
project's source code (e.g., to #ifdef-out this fragment during
the preprocessor run). Let me know if you are interested in this
approach and I will provide more information.

> 1. UX: The error report is not clear about which cpp file was being built
> (I get it in only in verbose 4, see below) or the target name being built
> (it's not clear in the verbose output).

You can see the exact command line that caused it with -V (aka
--verbose 3).

> Suggestion: consider adding the name of the target with an index of
> build and then  each log coming from it would be prefixed by this
> index (that's more or less what MSBUILD does,it's helpful; I believe
> ninja does this too?) Or anything to help identify in which context
> (aka the target) that specific cpp is built.

Yes, we have some ideas in this regard and will most likely implement
something at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Boris