[build2] Adding support for Qt

Philippe Payant philtherobot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:58:56 UTC 2018

Bear with me as I am learning the lingo and the philosophies of build
systems.

Correct me if I am wrong on my following understanding.  Qt would be a
package, downloaded and unpacked (as sources), then build2, as part of its
Qt module, would compile moc, ui and lupdate (at least those) according to
the host configuration, then compile Qt according to target configuration.
User's code would be mocced and uied with the built tools and everything
linked normally at the end.

Or no, maybe you mean that any package can declare "I have a build tool"
(Qt would say "I have moc" and others).  build2 can then compile and
leverage those packaged tools as a new "transformation" that was injected
in the toolchain from a package.

My wishes are to participate in some way in the "C++ needs a package and
build system" movement and to enable a great build system at my workplace,
which relies on Qt.

--
Philippe