[build2] std::system_error: Resource temporarily unavailable

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Feb 9 15:05:54 UTC 2018

Dane Springmeyer <dane at mapbox.com> writes:

> Wow, you found it! On my system make is v3.81. [...]

We have a similar issue on FreeBSD which has a pretty big default stack
size (.5G) for the main thread. There we just override it to 8M max but
it looks like this can be a more common problem.

It seems an option, like --max-stack, with a compile-time-adjustable
default (e.g., -DBUILD2_MAX_STACK=NNN) could help here. What do you think?

> Permissions error prevents me from viewing that file [...]

Fixed, sorry.

> [...] but I figure it must do something like this?
>
> size_t stksize;
> pthread_attr_t atr;
> pthread_attr_getstacksize(&atr, &stksize);
> printf("Current stack size - > %d\n", stksize);

It is a bit more involved.

> If I run that within make I see:
>
> Current stack size - > 2097152
>
> And outside of make:
>
> Current stack size - > 8388608

Strange, looks like make actually reduces the stack size. Could you
re-test with stacksize.c?

Thanks,
Boris