[build2] how to build the latest build2 version?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Mar 21 16:03:50 UTC 2017

Hi Max,

Moldmann Max (DC-MA/ENG52-NA) <Max.Moldmann at boschrexroth-us.com> writes:

> First thanks for making build2! It looks very promising!

Thanks, I am glad you like it so far!

> * Problem: msys64\usr\bin\gzip.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base
>   mismatch detected
>
>    Solution: Remove \msys64\usr\bin from path due to some cygwin
>    version incompatibilities (cygwin1.dll)
>
> * Copy missing dll's from the build2-build directory tree to the
>   build2/bin folder

Let me see if I get this straight: you already have MSYS2/MinGW
installed but also installed build2-baseutils (and build2-mingw)?
Plus you had your MSYS2 installation in PATH?

If so, then, yes, things will most likely get rough (due to DLL
incompatibilities). In this case you should either just use your
MSYS2/MinGW to both build build2 and to provide the base utilities
(like gzip) or make sure that your own MSYS/MinGW in not in PATH
when building and using build2.

> But now I am eager to try out the latest development versions of
> build2 especially the new parallel build support. I cloned and
> updated the toolchain repo with its subrepo's. But I couldn't
> figure out how to successfully build the latest version of master
> (aka 0.5.0-a1).

Yes, currently there are a few ad hoc steps required to make it
buildable. Eventually we will clean it all up but for now I've
packaged you a distribution (note that there are no packages
published on stage.build2.org yet so this will have to be a
local-only build):

http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/tmp/build2/pre-release/

> Could you please include a section in the installation manual on how
> to build the latest development version on the master branch!?

Yes, we will definitely do this once we work out all the kinks.
Also, soon, we will start automatic staging of master so that
will be another, easier option.

Thanks for the feedback,
Boris