[build2] Using build2 on a project with lots of dependencies

Philippe Payant philtherobot at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 17:00:37 UTC 2017

I understand that build2's take is that dependencies should be source, not
binary.  You have your project, and the dependencies are installed as
packages, which implies that all the dependencies are built with build2.
Did I get this right so far?

There are great reasons to depending on sources and compiling them
according to the correct configuration - no problem here.

My project depends around 20 libraries and... on Qt.  Obviously, right
there, compiling Qt on each configuration is a no-go, and Qt does not build
with build2.

This is so obviously wrong, I am sure there is something I do not
understand.  Something I missed after reading the FAQ, the build2 manual
and watching the CppCon talk.  Anyone can explain?

In any case, what I would like is to setup things such that all those
dependencies are prebuilt and shared amongst my configurations.  I am ready
to run the risk of a configuration/library mismatch and manage this
myself.  I get reduced disk usage and faster compilation times in
exchange.  The build2 configuration directory is hackable, so maybe there
is a possibility through there.

--
Philippe