[build2] Trigger compile of sources when their header dependencies change

Moldmann Max (DC-MA/ENG52-NA) Max.Moldmann at boschrexroth-us.com
Mon Apr 10 15:30:15 UTC 2017

Hi Boris,

I noticed that build2 doesn't compile file-a.c when an included header file i.e. file-a.h is changed.
It would be very helpful if this would be supported by build2.
If along source file changes only a header file is changed this quickly becomes a problem if the build is executed but it actually didn't compile everything that would be necessary to make a wholesome incremental build. And when you are using automatic .c and .h file generation this can be a pretty common problem.

With make it's absolutely not simple but at least possible to trigger compilation based on changed contents of a header file (i.e. based on a md5 hash).

I know build2 is not feature complete and I'm asking for some pretty advanced stuff here. Just want to make you aware of some corner use cases.
Thanks,
Max